Nine-one-one (911) is only to be used in EMERGENCY situations. An emergency is any situation that requires immediate assistance from the police/sheriff, fire department or an ambulance. If you are ever in doubt of whether a situation is an emergency you should call 9-1-1. It's better to be safe and let the 9-1-1 dispatcher determine if you need emergency assistance.
For non-emergency situations please contact Delta County Dispatch at 970-874-2015.
Examples of When to Call 9-1-1:
- Medical Emergencies
- Heart attack or stroke
- House fire
- Domestic violence
- Burglary or theft in progress
- Car accident with life threatening injuries
- Suspicious activities
- Anything else that seems like an emergency!
Do NOT call 9-1-1 for any of the following:
- For information
- To let us know the power is out OR to ask when it will be restored
- To report a broken fire hydrant
- When your water pipes burst
- To get a ride for doctor's appointment
- For paying tickets
- For your pet
- As a prank
Never Prank Call 9-1-1
It's a prank call when someone calls 9-1-1 for a joke, or calls 9-1-1 and hangs up. If 9-1-1 lines or call takers are busy with prank calls, someone with a real emergency may not be able to get the help they need. In most places, it's against the law to make prank 9-1-1 calls.