Highway 50 Blue Creek Canyon Detour Info
CURRENT TRAVEL IMPACTS
Regularly scheduled traffic impacts and nighttime full roadway closures will be in place through December of 2023 unless there is a schedule change. The routine traffic schedule is:
- Alternating one-lane traffic daytime closures will be on Mondays from 8:30 AM- 7:30 PM.
- Alternating one-lane traffic daytime closures Tuesday through Thursday are from 6:30 AM to 7:30 PM and on Fridays from 6:30 AM to 5:30 PM.
- Full roadway closures will occur through the night Monday through Thursday 7:30 PM to 6:30 AM. During this time you must take the detour route.
- US 50 will OPEN to two-way traffic with no delays from Friday at 5:30 PM to Monday at 8:30 AM.
- Estimated delay times during roadway opening windows are between 35 minutes to one hour. Plan your travel around the opening windows and be prepared to queue at designated areas.
For the most up-to-date travel information through the Canyon, visit the LIttle Blue Creek Canyon Project website.
What is the Little Blue Creek Safety Project and Why the Closures?
Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) and Central Federal Lands Highway Division are working together to fund significant highway improvements to Little Blue Canyon on US 50 between Montrose and Gunnison. Funding for the $40 million project is provided by a $20 million grant from the Colorado Federal Lands Access Program with CDOT providing a matching $20 million. The project is also in cooperation with the U.S. Forest Service, Grand Mesa Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forests, U.S. Bureau of Land Management and the National Park Service.
The overall goal of the project is to improve safety along US Hwy 50 in the project area and realign the road, widen the highway to two (2) 12-foot travel lanes with 4-foot wide shoulders. To do this, the contractor, will have to complete rock fall mitigation work and blasting through the construction zone which requires closures of US 50. Due to the rock mitigation and blasting activities in the Little Blue Canyon area, US 50 must be closed to all vehicle traffic during these times.