Floodplain and Runoff

For up-to-date information on 2023 spring flooding preparations, go the Emergency Management Flooding Page.

Environmental Health Recommendations:

  • Clear all debris away from low-lying and flood-prone areas--especially hazardous chemicals, oil cans, trash, etc.  All household hazardous waste can be taken to the Adobe Butte Landfill and disposed of for free. 
  • If you lose power, water, or gas. Call your services provider. 
  • opening vents in stem walls to remove any pressure from rising floodwaters
  • stock up on non perishable items.  
  • If the power does go out, ensure that refrigerated food is kept below 41 degrees (get a reliable thermometer) to lessen the concern with spoilage before use
  • HAZARDOUS WASTE? Are you a business or resident of Delta County and you'd like to have your hazardous chemicals recycled? You can dispose of your chemicals (and if you are a business you can register) with Mesa County by going to their Hazardous Waste Management Facility. Businesses must register by filling out their forms as a Very Small Quantity Generator.  A small fee is required based on the type and quantity of chemical. 

For current information on the FLOODING THREAT throughout Colorado, visit the Colorado Flood Threat Bulletin web page.

Floodplain Permits:

Delta County Environmental Health is where you can get a "Floodplain Permit." The county has areas that are prone to flooding, which can result in a loss of life and property, health and safety hazards, disruption of commerce, and affect public health and safety.

If you plan on building in a designated "floodplain" or "floodway" in Delta County, you need to get a Floodplain Development Permit. This includes any construction or activity that changes the land's basic character, use, or topography, such as building or substantial improvement of a structure, mining, filling, excavation, or drilling operations, and more. You need to apply for a Floodplain Permit Application and Application Checklist, even if you don't need flood insurance, to comply with Federal Emergency Management Agency regulations and be eligible for flood insurance. You can also apply by using our Floodplain Application Google Form.

The Delta County Land Use Code has Floodplain Regulations as an annex. You also need a permit from the Delta County Environmental Health Division before installing any septic system if you plan to develop in a designated floodplain. It's your responsibility to ensure you get this determination. You can easily search for the floodplain status if you're planning to build in or near a floodplain.

Floodplain Maps:

Maps are available on the Delta County GIS webpage.
More information can be found at the Colorado Hazard Mapping website. 

The Floodplain Regulations are described in the Delta County Land Use Code, adopted on January 5th, 2021, and the Delta County Flood Damage Prevention Regulations (DCFDPR, an appendix of that code). 

The floodplain application fee is $250.00.

FEMAFEMA Elevation Certificate: Once a permit has been issued and construction has been completed, a certification of elevation is required. A Registered Professional Engineer or Registered Surveyor must certify the elevations of a structure and certify that the development is adequately floodproofed. (See also FEMA Forms). If a Map Amendment is needed, the property owner will need to complete a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) request.  Obtain more information on the  National Flood Insurance Program. 

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has published maps designating Floodplains, Floodways, and insurance rate zones for the National Floodplain Insurance Program. See the FEMA floodplain insurance program for details.

If you are interested in determining if a property is within a flood zone, the Delta County Interactive Map has a FEMA Floodplain Map Layer that can be added to the base map by clicking on the LEGEND folder and scrolling to the “FEMA Flood Hazard areas." You may also come to the Delta County Environmental Health Division's office to research and view the FEMA maps and make a flood zone determination. Maps may also be ordered by contacting the FEMA Maps Center.