Right-of-way Permits

The Development Application is required to obtain permits for activity in the right-of-way, including Access and Utility Permits.  Submit the completed application together with the applicable supplemental questionnaire to the Delta County Planning & Community Development Department.  Incomplete applications are not considered filed.

Access Permit

County Engineering reviews and verifies all access (public and private). Having an existing access does not mean it is an approved access location.  

Access onto any Delta County Road must be permitted by the County, and constructed to County standards. The County requires using these standards even if not a County road; however, Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) has its own standards. Generally, a parcel is limited to one access.

Access permits are also required any time the use of the existing access is changed/intensified (i.e., agricultural to residential), and anytime the location of the access is moved. Moving the location of the access may also cause the address for the property to be changed. Access from a private road and/or easement requires proof of access/authorization from the appropriate authority.  

Access must be completed and approved before an address is assigned. Two inspections are required: 1) determine if the location complies with County standards; and 2) determine if the access was constructed per County standards.

City or Town

Contact the appropriate city or town for information about property and/or roads within a municipality.

Private Roads/Easements

County does not permit access onto private roads and/or where access is granted through some sort of easement (e.g. private property, federal roads).  However, County will verify landowner has appropriate authorization for use/access prior to issuing an address and that the access meets County Standards. In some cases, County may identify and/or restrict access on private roads through the subdivision process (check Final Plat and notes).

State or U.S. Highway

Access onto a highway requires proof of an approved access permit from CDOT before County issues an address.

Colorado Department of Transportation
Engineering Division
2420 N. Townsend Ave.
Montrose, Colorado 81401

Utility Permit

A Utility Permit must be obtained at least 48 hours prior to commencement of construction. If a road closure is requested, the Permit must be obtained at least seven (7) days prior to the commencement of construction.

If you have specific questions regarding Utility Permits, please contact the Road & Bridge Foreman in the appropriate District.  The Road & Bridge Foremen are as follows:

  • District 1 (Delta area): Mark McMillan, 970-874-2133
  • District 2 (Surface Creek area):  Dan Sickles, 970-856-6800
  • District 3 (North Fork area):  John Allen, 970-872-3254

Once the application is submitted, the County will calculate the appropriate fee and provide an invoice that must be paid before a Permit is issued.  Please see the Delta County Fee Schedule (attached to the application) for all Utility Permit related fees.